To avoid unnecessary strain follow these simple tips below:
1) Choose the right backpack
* Get a backpack that has many compartments to balance the load.
* Choose a lightweight backpack
* Select a backpack with two wide, adjustable and padded shoulder straps along with a hip or waist strap and a padded back. Even better if you can find one with a chest strap
* Try on the backpack. You want to ensure that it’s not too snug around the shoulders and armpits and that it’s proportionate to the child’s torso
2) Pack it Light
* You should only pack what is needed for the day
* As a general rule of thumb the backpack should be no more than 10 to 15 per cent of the wearer’s body weight
* Place the heaviest objects close to the body and light objects or odd shaped ones away from the back.
3) Putting on your backpack properly
* Fill your pack at table level and/or get someone to help put it on you
* Wear both your shoulder straps and your waist belt
* Adjust the shoulder straps so that the backpack sits flush against the back
* Leave room to slide your hand between that backpack and your child’s back. If you can’t then the backpack is too snug
Remember pain is not normal and is a way of your body communicating to you that something is wrong. If you child is experiencing any back pain feel free to book an appointment with one of our practitioners today.
Have questions about your child’s backpack and how it fits. Drop by Health Centre of Milton for a free backpack fitting.
Dr. Sarah Chajka believes that Chiropractic care is beneficial to all. Her upbringing in an active family and years of discipline through sport and dance have reinforced this as well as witnessing the transforming effect of chiropractic treatment on all ages. While working at the Health Centre of Milton she has further developed her interest in preventative health and healing and has taken extra courses in order to give specialized attention to pregnancy and paediatrics.
Dr. Sarah Chajka, HBKin, DC, Webster Certified
Health Centre of Milton
420 Main St E. Unit 102 &103